Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

More on the Topic of Interchangeable Nozzles

In previous posts there have been examples of things that I am doing with my new 0.25mm nozzles on my Ultimaker 2's and the Olson Block from 3DSolex (now being sold in the UK by GoodTube.   Two great examples are both 1:100 models that are part of my bling collection that I developed for the Flames of War community.

The Bailey Bridge is a particularly good use of interchangeable nozzles as the road part of the bridge is printed using 0.15mm layers from a 0.4mm nozzle and the detailed parts at 0.125mm layer height using the 0.25mm nozzle.  In the former case the extrusion width was default and in the latter case I forced it from the default of 0.3mm to 0.25mm.

The question is...knowing that you can force an extrusion width, though this is not optimal, what exactly would it mean in terms of print quality?  The answer can be seen below.

The lesson is obvious.  You can force the extrusion width down but you are going to lose quality.  This clearly makes sense when you think about plastic squirting out of the nozzle but I still wanted to see a picture.  Technically I should be using my 0.15mm nozzle instead of forcing the 0.25mm nozzle but that nozzle is a little too fussy for running as much as I run the 0.25mm nozzles.

No comments:

Post a Comment