Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Four Flavors of a Bailey Bridge

A full scale Bailey Bridge could be (and still is!) built in a variety of configurations depending on design needs all using the same basic parts.  Giant erector set for bridges.  My 1:100 scale kit is not quite so flexible given some of the compromises that scale and expediency forced on me.  That said I do have the following four types covered (at least in the full source which will be up on Thingiverse soon)!
Single-Single
Double-Single
Triple-Single
Triple-Double
Somewhat obviously from looking at the above pictures the first descriptor is the number of panels used on each side and the second the number of levels!  The more the longer and the more weight can be supported.   There is a field manual that engineers use to determine what configuration is needed.  Once that is determined the manual tells the builders exactly what parts will be needed.  Really impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment