Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Second Order on 3D Hubs was for a TANK!

Guys like tanks.  Not all guys but a lot of guys.   If I think of the top things that a guy is going to like I think of the following:
  • Girls
  • Beer
  • Cars
Then the list starts to branch out.  Things like boats, motorcycles, and the like come in.   But in the everymans top 10 list I have to bet that Tanks would be in there somewhere...even if they have to be reminded as I was!

So, when someone put an order out onto my 3D Hub to print a sample tank for a local war gaming club I was happy to oblige (it was actually a truck but it goes with tanks).  The idea being that other club members might be interested in getting some tanks printed to augment their collections with vehicles that might otherwise be hard to find.

The source of the tank models is on Thingiverse and they are the creations of a New Zealander (m_bergman) that has done some absolutely stunning work.  He has three collections of tanks.  World War 1 in 1:200 scale, World War 2 in 1:200 scale (Part II, Part III), and a subset of the latter in 1:100 scale.

The club member that met with me had payed me to print a sample vehicle.  I printed a couple extra for him as I, well, I like tanks!   The idea is that club members would find the tank they need, upload an order to me on 3D Hubs, and voila they have a tank that other wise might not be in their army, without investing in their own 3D printer.   What I am not doing is printing and selling tanks as that flies against the non-commercial license for the models.

Obviously if someone has a 3D printer they can print as many of these as they want.   That is, of course, assuming their printer is pretty well calibrated as some of these models are a challenge.

If you don't have a printer you can, in effect, rent some time on one by winging your way to 3DHubs:

If you want a tank but you don't have a printer you can, in effect, rent some time on one by winging your way to 3DHubs:

3D Hubs: Local 3D Printing
If you are in the UK you can visit my hub:

Wisar's Hub





No comments:

Post a Comment