Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Printing ABS on an Ultimaker 2

I was never really successful printing ABS on my Prusa I3 for a couple of reasons.   First, the build platform was heated by a 12v circuit and you really need more juice than that for ABS.  Second, the Prusa is a completely open machine and ABS simply does not like to be in the open as it cools.  So I printed PLA.  A lot of PLA.  Used either hairspray or ABS slurry for platform adhesion (yes, ABS slurry for PLA adhesion).

The Wanhao Duplicator 4S is a completely enclosed machine and has been an animal printing ABS.  I still have an occasional issue with build platform adherence but in general things stick pretty well.  I have experimented with a number of surfaces other than the glass, namely FR-4 and Klapton Tape.  I have also decided that some models do need to be printed on a raft.

Interestingly I have not had any real success printing PLA on the duplicator 4S!  I have not tried terribly hard but for some reason getting it to stick to the build platform has been a challenge!

Enter the Ultimaker 2.   I really does a nice job of printing PLA.   But it's semi-open nature still can make ABS a bit of a challenge particularly in my drafty man cave.   Enter my solution as shown to the right.  No this is not permanent but I needed to play with ABS on the Ultimaker 2 a little before I invested in the real thing.   What you see does work though.  It provides a nice, warm, breeze free, build environment.

I am still struggling a little with build platform adherence on the UM2.  I really like FR-4 but the sheet of it that I have is just too thin and it floated a little in the middle.   Maybe some double sided tape.

It is good to have another printer that can do ABS.  I guess I should work on the Wanhao and get  it to print PLA!

No comments:

Post a Comment