Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Prusa I3 Improvements/Modifications

I have listed some of the modifications and improvements that I have added to my Prusa I3 but wanted to have a complete list at this point.   The things that I have mentioned before included the following:
  • Filament roller
  • Fan mount
  • Heated bed adjusters
  • Z-axis adjuster
  • Flexible cord for x-axis servo
  • Single board computer as controller (WiP)
  • Screw panel for hot end replacement
Some other things that I have done either since the above of that I had not mentioned previously:
  1. Improved fan mount - now have two small fans on the mount with one directed at the cooling fins on the extruder and the other on the print
  2. Cooling fan for electronics stack with a master on/off switch.
  3. Tie-down to heavy platform for stability.
  4. Tensioner on the x-axis (downloaded from Thingiverse)
  5. Tensioner on the y-axis (crafted myself)
  6. Monitor to detect smoke or heat from the electronics and power down the printer (and sound an alarm)
  7. Cork insulation under the heated bed
  8. Cork insulator pad for top of heated bed (used when I rarely print with ABS or the heated bed takes forever to get to target temperature)
  9. Forward frame tensioner to help eliminate some vibration artifacts in my prints.
  10. Heated bed riser as the arms of the heated bed supports were dragging on the printer frame (downloaded from Thingiverse).
Photos are on the way for the things with no links.

#1

#2

#3


#5

#6 - Sensors
#7

#6 - Controller

No comments:

Post a Comment