Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Friday, April 5, 2013

CritterCam Version 1 in Action

Having solved the power problem (got a new battery in the mail) I have been able to get the CritterCam into action.   Here are some images from a test run.   First the web preview page.   This is a tiny little PHP app that runs on the RPi along side the Python script that does the captures.   It is kind of funny to think about the RPi running a SQL server and PHP behind Apache.   I am not using mySQL but I could!   In any case...


The large image at the top is the last image saved due to motion being detected.  The four images at the bottom are the last four images captured with the difference calculated between each image shown at the bottom.   The threshold specifies the point at which this difference between images triggers a capture.

I do have the DSLR triggering working with one major issue...there is a two second delay between when the Python script sees the motion and when the motion actually occurred.  No clue as to why yet.   Even without the DSLR the little 720p webcam does a decent job at the image capture.






Yes, that bench is in dire need of painting.   If it were not so bloody cold it would get pressure washed and painted!

No comments:

Post a Comment