Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Backups Revisited

One of my early posts talked about doing backups of the RPi SD card.   At least part of that post was crap so I thought I would revisit with an explanation of what I am doing now which is simply to use dd.

I take my backups of both partitions of the SD card using the inverse of the restore commands shown below.

A restore is then done to an SD card formatted to the same specifications as the backup (assuming it is not the original).

For SD cards that I use for testing I am using 4gb cards as they backup and restore faster.   I might get some 2gb cards for that matter!

Restore commands:

    sudo dd bs=4M if=2013-08-03-base-image-1.img of=/dev/sdc1
    sudo dd bs=4M if=2013-08-03-base-image-2.img of=/dev/sdc2

No comments:

Post a Comment