Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Raspberry Pi Wireless Network Drops

My Belkin N150 network connection had been dropping on a regular basis. The RPi is still humming along (it is connected to an Arduino and is still commanding it happily) but no network.

I logged this problem on the Arduino Forum and got a number of suggestions with the ever present check of power high among the suggestions.   In fact, when I am on battery power I do have more problems as I am having power regulation issues.  This said, the problem does not go away when on wall power.

The thing that has most seemed to help was suggested by "Pluggy" and that was to add the following to the bottom of "/etc/network/interfaces":

    wireless-power off

I could not find a lot of documentation about this entry on the web though what I read implied that it disabled a standby power down.   This would make sense in terms of it helping if my drops were during periods of inactivity...but they are not...and it helped!

Not sure why but I guess one should not look gift horses in the mouth as my connection is very much more stable!?!?

Here is the whole thread on the Arduino Forum (which is a very useful place).

No comments:

Post a Comment